Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Vegan Maple Cake

This is the cake I made my hubby for his birthday recently.  I wasn't necessarily looking for a no sugar cake, but decided to give it a shot.  It wasn't very sweet, although if I had put a sweet frosting on it it would've been perfect I think.  But I do have to say that my hubby has the biggest sweet tooth I've ever seen & he REALLY liked this cake.  I haven't told him that it's vegan (haven't told the kiddos either & they loved it too) yet but at some point I will.  It was very moist & very good I must say.

Vegan Maple Cake

1 Tablespoon egg relacer (I used Ener G brand)
2 Cups non-dairy milk (I used vanilla rice milk)
1 Cup maple syrup
1/2 Cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

*Preheat oven to 350 degress F
*grease & flour cake pans (2 8-9", 1 bundt, 1 9x13, 2 8x8--I used a bundt pan)
*whisk together egg replacer, milk, syrup, oil, vinegar, & vanilla
*separately mix together flours, baking powder, salt, & baking soda
*add dry mixture to wet & combine
*pour into pan & bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

No comments: