Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My favorite all purpose gluten free bread

A lot of gluten free breads are too light & white & don't seem substantial or hearty to me, which is what I like in a bread.  It took me a while to come up with this & I am quite pleased with it.  Gluten free flours cannot simply be replaced for wheat flour, you need a blend of several flours & starches & xantham gum to get the right texture.  Some people buy blends already blended for them, but I prefer to make my own.  I always have 2 blends on hand: one for pastries (cakes, cookies, pie crust, etc) & one for breads.  I will include how to make the blend needed for this recipe at the end of the recipe.  If you have a favorite bread flour blend you can certainly use that in this recipe as well.

 
GLUTEN FREE WHOLE GRAIN BREAD
 
*2 large eggs (room temperature is best)
*3 Tablespoons oil (I use sunflower oil)
*1 3/4 Cups "bread flour mix"
*1/4 Cup teff flour
*1 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
*1/2 teaspoon sea salt
*2 Tablespoons sugar
*1 Tablespoon yeast (active dry, not quick rise)
*2/3 Cup PLUS 1 Tablespoon water (or milk or non-dairy milk)--heated to 110F
 
*preheat oven to 375F (I use a pyrex loaf pan, if you use a dark pan I believe it's the same temp, but if you use a bright & shiny pan I believe you need to increase to 400F)
*beat eggs & oil together
*mix dry ingredients together in stand mixer (I sift them all as I put them into the bowl of the mixer)
*heat water to 110F (it doesn't take long, so keep a close eye on it)
*add both liquids to dry ingredients
*mix until just blended, then scrape down the bowl
*beat on high for 3 minutes
*lightly grease or spray loaf pan
*place dough in pan & smooth out the top
*place in warm area to rise, cover loosely with a towel or paper towel & let rise 20-40 minutes
*bake for 10 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil & bake an additional 45 minutes
*bread is done when internal temp reaches 205F
 
 
Bread Flour Mix
1/3 part millet flour--------2/3 Cup
1/6 part sorghum flour----1/3 Cup
1/6 part cornstarch---------1/3 Cup
1/6 part potato starch------1/3 Cup
1/6 part tapioca starch-----1/3 Cup
 
This will give you 2 Cups of the mix, enough to make this recipe.......since I use this mix so often I make it in very large batches--4 Cups of millet flour & 2 Cups of all the others, you can make it in any amount you want or need, simply put twice as much millet flour as all the others.

No comments: