Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

GF (DF) 'cheese' crackers

These are super yummy!  Let me start by saying I've never made any type of cracker before.  I've always been told that making crackers is easy, but I've always hesitated, unsure of how to do it.  I adapted this recipe from one that was designed to use actual dairy cheese.  Since my son & hubby cannot tolerate dairy I thought his would be a great treat for them & I was correct.  I am not dairy free myself, but I eat very little dairy.  So these are great for me also.  They taste just like cheezits!



GF DF 'Cheese' Crackers

2 Tablespoons butter or butter-alternative
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2 Cups shredded cheese alternative (I used Daiya cheddar style shreds)
3/4 Cup white rice flour
1/4 Cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
1 teaspoon xantham gum (or guar gum or ground pysillium seed husk or other gluten alternative)

*preheat oven to 400 F
*in bowl of stand mixer beat butter-alternative until creamy
*add egg, salt, pepper, & beat until well blended
*beat in the cheese, in 4 batches
*beat in the flour, starch, & xantham gum until well blended
*remove from blender & add very small amounts of water until it will form into a ball & hold together
*divide the dough in half
*place one half onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & cover with parchment paper & roll out dough as thin & even as possible--then remove top sheet of parchment paper
*cut into desired sized squares (I used a pizza cutter to do this)
*sprinkle with sea salt if desired
*bake 15-30 minutes, until crisp & deep golden, keep a close eye on them, don't let them burn (if the dough is not rolled out evenly the thinner portions of dough will burn before the thicker portions are crisp)
*repeat with the other half of the dough

No comments: