Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gluten Free Gravy

I have always bought the organic turkey gravy at the health food store.  I cannot recall the brand at the moment, but it's organic & gluten free.  But I've never been thrilled with it I must say.  It's not as thick & creamy as I would like & it has an after taste that I don't like much.  So I decided to experiment & learn how to make my own.  And I must say I was beyond thrilled with the results.

I forgot to take a pic BEFORE we devoured it!!  Here's what little was left!
 
GLUTEN FREE GRAVY
 
1/4 Cup butter (or if you want dairy free you could try a butter alternative)
1/4 Cup sweet rice flour
1-2 Cups chicken stock (or juices from a roasted chicken or turkey if you have it)
salt & pepper & desired seasonings to taste
 
*melt the butter
*slowly whisk in the flour, a little at a time
*once all the flour has been added, let it cook 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly--the color should change during this time, but be careful to not let it scorch
*remove from heat for a couple of minutes
*put it back on low-medium heat & slowly, in very small amounts, drizzle in the chicken stock
*whisk vigorously & constantly until all the liquid has been absorbed (this may take up to 10 minutes--be patient, adding liquid until you've reached the desired consistency/thickness
*season with salt, pepper, & any other seasonings you desire
*remove from heat & serve immediately


No comments: