Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Garbanzo Romesco

I have to say that I am not much of a garbanzo fan, but this recipe I absolutely adore.  I am so in love with it & it is a regular in my kitchen these days.  My meat eating family doesn't like it much, but I LOVE it.  It is my understanding that  traditional Spanish romesco sauce is thickened with bread, but this version is thickened with almonds & I really really like it.

Garbanzo Romesco (adapted from "Veganomicon", changes made by me)

1/3 Cup almond meal/flour (you can grind your own almonds in the food processor if need be)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 roasted bell peppers
olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/4 large onion, diced
1 red serrano chile pepper, minced finely (leave seeds & pith if heat is desired, remove if not desired)
1/4 cup white wine
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
30 oz cooked garbanzos (drained & rinsed if using canned)
salt & pepper to taste

*puree the tomatoes & roasted bell peppers in blender or food processor & set aside
*saute garlic, onion, & serrano in olive oil 4-5 minutes
*add wine & deglaze pan, cooking about 1 minute
*add tomato mixture, vinegar, sugar, thyme, & rosemary & combine
*bring to a near boil & simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
*add almond meal & garbanzos & combine, simmer uncovered 25 minutes
*add salt & pepper to taste

No comments: