Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Applebee's Almond Rice Pilaf

I keep this recipe handy.  We tend to eat a lot of rice in my home.  I personally eat very little white rice, but it's the only rice the rest of the family will eat.  I really don't like plain brown rice, but I do love the rice blends (full of brown, black, wild, & other types of rices).  However, I do like this pilaf & I also like my Mexican rice (which I'm still planning to do a brown rice version of at some point!) & both of them are with white rice.  But my point is that if I feel like we've had a little too much plain rice & I need a side of rice with a dish (which is my situation tonight) I do this pilaf instead of just plain rice.  It's usually a hit, with the exception of my stepson.

APPLEBEE'S ALMOND RICE PILAF

3 Tablespoons butter
1 Cup white rice
2 1/4 Cups Chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 Cup slivered almonds
1/4 Cup diced celery
1/4 Cup diced onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley

*Melt 2 T butter & saute rice 2-4 minutes
*Heat chicken broth & quickly add to rice
*Cover pan, reduce heat to low, simmer 20 minutes
*Melt 1 T butter, saute almond 1-2 minutes
*Add celery & onions & saute 2 minutes
*When the rice is done simmering remove it from heat & add everything & let sit, covered, for 5 minutes

Note: if you use oil instead of butter & veggie broth instead of chicken this is easily a vegan dish

No comments: