Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mexican BROWN Rice

This is basically the same recipe that I posted before for Mexican Rice.  I had been meaning to try it out with brown rice, since I prefer to eat brown rice.  But the rest of my family prefers white rice, so this dish will probably mostly just be for me.  I used a short grain brown rice, since that's all I had in the house, but I think it would be better with a long grain brown rice.

Mexican BROWN Rice

3 Tablespoons oil
1 Cup brown rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 Cup chopped onion
1/2 Cup tomato sauce
2 Cups chicken broth
1/4 Cup chopped carrots

*Cook rice in oil until puffed
*Sprinkle with garlic salt & cumin
*Stir in onions & carrots & cook until tender
*Stir in tomato sauce & chicken broth
*Bring to boil & simmer 45-50 minutes

Note: like I said in my last blog on Mexican Rice, I almost never have tomato sauce in the house, but I do always have tomato paste.  I simply make tomato sauce out of the tomato paste.  Combine 1/4 Cup tomato paste with 1/3 Cup water & add 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon sugar.

Note: if you use veggie broth instead of chicken this is easily a vegan dish

No comments: