Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Play Dough

There exist many, many recipes for home-made play dough.  This is the only one I've tried so far.  So far I've been really happy with this recipe & haven't bothered to try any others.  I know you can BUY play dough, & I'm sure it's not even expensive, but I make my own for a couple of reasons.  1) Toddlers like to put things in their mouths & I don't have to worry about what's in the play dough if I make it myself out of totally ordinary ingredients rather than the chemicals in the store bought variety.  2) One thing my hubby taught me (before having my son, with my stepkids & all my nieces) is about making memories for the kids.  Giving them special happy memories to think back & remember fondly later in life.  I happen to think there's something really special & magical about the kitchen.  To me it's the perfect place to make memories.  I personally feel that it's much more special & memorable to MAKE play dough than to just go to the store & buy it.

Play Dough

2+ Cups white flour (NON self rising)
1/2 Cup table salt
1 Cup hot water
1 teaspoon oil (optional, makes dough more pliable)
glitter (optional, for a sparkly play dough)
coloring (optional)

*mix flour & salt
*slowly mix in water (& oil if using)
*continue kneading & working in more flour until desired consistency & stickiness disappears

Note 1: you can split it up & knead in coloring to each section (if you want several different colors) or if you want it all one color you can put the coloring in the water in the beginning.

Note 2: I store it in plastic zip lock bags to keep it from drying out.  Sometimes my son just wants to rip the play dough into a million pieces & make a mess with it (he's only 20 months) & it's then that I just leave it in plastic zip lock bags & let him play with it that way, he loves squeezing it while it's in the bag.

No comments: