Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Mexican Rice

This is a favorite of mine.  I LOVE my sister in law's Mexican rice & this is as close as I can get it to her's through trial & error & then I added in carrots on my own.  I like the addition of carrots, but you can omit them if you like.

MEXICAN RICE

3 Tablespoons oil
1 Cup white rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 Cup chopped onion
1/4 Cup chopped carrots
1/2 Cup tomato sauce
2 Cups chicken broth

*Cook rice in oil until puffed & golden, then sprinkle with salt & cumin
*Stir in onions & carrots & cook til onions are tender
*Stir in tomato sauce & chicken broth
*Cover, bring to a boil, & simmer 20-25 minutes

Note 1: I rarely have tomato sauce on hand, but I do always have tomato paste.  In a pinch you can make your own tomato sauce out of tomato paste if you need to.  This is what I always do.  Simply combine 1/4 Cup tomato paste with 1/3 Cup water & add 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon sugar.

Note 2: if you use veggie broth instead of chicken this is easily a vegan dish

No comments: